FAQ - Beginning Your Studies at Paderborn University

How do I create a Uni-Account so I can access PAUL?

Find information on the Uni-Account and how to create one on the IMT website. If you need further help, please contact the IMT via email: imt(at)uni-paderborn.de.


What is PANDA, where do I find the orientation PANDA course and how do I access PANDA?

PANDA is Paderborn University’s digital platform for learning and teaching. It is used in the context of orientation week and other services in order to provide information online. You can access PANDA on panda.upb.de. After you log in using your Uni-Account login information, you can access all courses, search for courses, and register for courses (How to: Registration for a course). The orientation week PANDA course is linked on the orientation week website. After you log in to PANDA for the first time, you will be automatically registered for on PANDA for all courses you are registered for on PAUL.


Where on Campus can I buy lunch, snacks, or something to drink?

There are two different dining halls on campus (Mensa Forum and Mensa Academica), plus the Caféte and the Bona Vista (coffee bar). Find more information on food and drinks on campus and their daily menus.


Are there study areas I can use during the semester break?

The Bibo (Paderborn University Library) provides study space during the semester break. You can always study and work there. The Bibo offers different study areas, group study rooms and also the option to book individual study rooms to study without distractions. See this overview on their study spaces.


What does ECTS/CP/LP mean? What are all these abbreviations?

Specific terms and abbreviations like these are listed and explained on the website of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and the Student Advice Center website (both are only available in German, please use a translator tool).


I am not able to attend all days/all events during orientation week. How do I get all the information I need?

The PANDA course provides you with relevant information for first-semester students. If you are an international student, please also check out the website for incoming exchange students of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and the website for incoming degree-seeking students of the International Office. If you need more information or have a question on the events for international students, please send an email to anke.riebau(at)upb(dot)de.


What do I do if I know I will be late for a class, meeting, or event due to a bus or train delay or a traffic jam?

If you know you are going to be late to a class or lecture, you should still come and attend the lecture. If you are running late for an individual meeting, for instance for an office hour or an advising meeting, please find the contact information of the person you are meeting with on the Paderborn University website and give them a quick call or send an email to let them know you are running late. This ensures that they know you are still coming and they can wait for you.


What is the Bibo-Foyer and where is it? How can I find my way to lecture halls and the Study Help Office? Where are the dining halls and the cafeteria? How do I find my way around campus?

As a new student, you will need a little while to confidently find your way around campus. In any case, you can ask people on campus for help to find the place you are looking for. You can also use the campus map to orient yourself.

Some central places are:

  • The Bibo-Foyer (the University Library foyer), which is located in front of the entrance of the University Library, opposite the glass-walled security office.
  • The lecture halls C1 and C2 can also be found in the Bibo-Foyer
  • The Study Help Office of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities is located on the 5th floor of the C-building in room 322 (in short: C5.322)
  • The cafeteria and the dining halls are located in building ME. The Grillcafé and AStA (General Students Committee of Paderborn University) are also located in this building.


How do I get to campus traveling by bus?

Important bus lines which get you to campus include:

  • 4, 9, 58, UNI-Linie to the stop “Uni Südring”
  • 68, UNI-Linie to the stop “Uni Schöne Aussicht“


Where is the Stadtcampus located?

Coming from Westerntor, you walk along the shopping street Westernstraße in the direction of the Rathaus (city hall). Once you reach the Pollux cinema you enter the cinema passage and exit on the other end. On the other side of the street, to your right, is a door to a parking deck which also has a sign for the AStA Stadtcampus. Here, you enter and take the elevator up to the Stadtcampus.

You can also use a maps app to find your way to the Stadtcampus or use this video which the AStA provides.


I have questions regarding the orientation week. Who can I contact?

If you are a German first-semester student, please email us at ophase(at)kw.uni-paderborn.de.

If you are an international student, please email Anke Riebau at anke.riebau(at)upb(dot)de.